The story begins in 1939 with a traditional corner shop in Hull. The picture shows the grandparents and father of our current directors. This business was interrupted by the bombs of the second world war and it wasn’t until 1954 that the family were able to get back into retail and found what would later go on to be the company we are today.
Now in 2015 the company is run by the 3rd and 4th generations of the same family, we have a growing team which currently consists of 425 valuable employees working across our Head Office, 21 Yorkshire Trading Co stores and attending around 140 outdoor events during our summer show season where we promote the Rydale Clothing brand.
Yorkshire Trading Co Stores
Since 1954 we’ve been lucky enough to open 21 Yorkshire Trading Co stores which are dotted across the North of England from Leek, Staffordshire to Morpeth, Northumberland. Many of our stores are placed in traditional market towns or picturesque seaside resorts, we’ve also kept up with modern trends and opened up in select shopping centres too. We love to visit our stores and the communities in which they have become closely integrated with, whether it be a scenic drive through Whitby or a wild weekend in Skegness, we’re always eager to get involved.
To find your nearest one, check out the postcode or place name search feature our “Find a Store” page.
What’s In Store?
We have over 10,000 products in store and online. You can find everything for the family including a large toys section, a crafty haberdashery selection and a full pets range.
We have products for the home including everyday cleaning and home maintenance products, kitchenware, soft furnishings and decorative items. We also stock outdoor products which includes Rydale equestrian and country clothing, gardening tools and a great camping selection. In addition, we have constantly updated seasonal offerings for celebrations such as Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas and New Year.
Over the years we have built up a lot of great friends in business which regularly gives us the opportunity to score some incredible clearance deals. We pass this saving on to our customers by offering these big branded products for sale at the best prices you’ll find.
Every delivery brings new and exciting products to our website and all of our stores for customers to enjoy.Customers First
Outstanding customer service with a friendly Yorkshire flair is at the heart of everything we do. We make sure all of our team members share this same attitude using our fun and fulfilling “Famous Five” system.
Rydale clothing has become a real point of pride for us over the years. The entire range is designed and developed in-house by a dedicated team who have created our great range of Country, Equestrian, and Outdoor clothing and accessories. Much of it is manufactured right here in Britain. The Rydale Clothing Team tour the entire length of the UK annually during our show season. We are currently running the largest clothing operation on the UK show circuit with over 140 shows attended last season. Going on tour is a crazy job but we love every minute of it.
Looking To The Future
The 4th generation of the family: James, Edward & Michael are pushing the business unto the 21st century with the latest electronic systems to ensure we can provide more and more customers with our great products and service.
Construction is also underway on our new purpose-built Distribution Centre and Head Office. This £7 million project, due for completion in April 2015, will allow us to maximise our efficiency.
Recent years have seen us investing heavily in our circle. We have strengthened our various teams, supporting their specialisation into the different areas of the business through training.
If you want to be part of our story then head over to our “Join Our Team” section to browse all of our current vacancies.
- 1964 - John Nichols opened his first shop.
- 1975 - The family had 4 stores trading in Driffield, Pickering, Hull and Pocklington.
- 1976 - Molly Nichols (John’s wife) focussed on the local market side of the business. She expanded into outdoor shows for the summer months selling high end ladies fashion including brands such as Aquascutum.
- 1980 – John’s two eldest sons, Paul and Robert joined the business helping develop and manage the stores.
- 1985 - The family had 8 stores trading in towns including Louth, Whitby and Bridlington, the company also started to specialise in China and Glassware in a new store in Driffield called James Piper managed by John’s youngest son, Tom.
- 1991 - Paul took control of shows and started to specialise in outdoor wear rather than fashion. Paul also set about altering product ranges to enable the businesses expansion.
- 1995 – Paul, Robert, Tom continued to nurture the business and expanded up to 12 stores trading in towns further afield such as Richmond and Ripon.
- 2000 - After trading under various names such as JC Nichols, Barmy Bobs the business branded itself as the Yorkshire Trading Company as well as becoming a limited company. The three brothers settled into their roles as directions with Paul taking on the responsibility of property, imports and outdoor events, Tom taking charge of buying and Robert looking after maintenance and supply.
- 2001 - The Yorkshire Clothing Company imported its first small range of Rydale Clothing which was initially under the name of “Snow Drop”.
- 2008 – The large store chain Woolworths went bust and a very bold step was taken to in the procurement of 11 new stores.
- 2010 - The Yorkshire Trading Company had grown in scale and began trading in towns stretching as far as Skegness, Melton Mowbray and Cramlington.
- Today - Yorkshire Trading Company has grown to 21 stores with a budding eCommerce website. Rydale Clothing maintains its status as the largest clothing operation on the UK show circuit.